Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Establishment

Psalm 90 has long been one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. I love that there is an urgency to it, but also a calmness and rest in the guaranteed outcome.

It's like a good Christian romance novel. Will they get together? Will he ever be man enough to say how he really feels? Will the secrets of their pasts tear them apart? In a country ravaged by war, how can two people with such different backgrounds find love? (I digress.) I love the angst, but I also love knowing that there will be a happy ending. I get caught up in the current turmoil, but if I step back, I can see and find comfort in the assured resolution.

Moses knew the same thing. He didn't need a fictional love story to compare it to, however. He realized that there is so much that weighs us down that we forget how short this life really is. And how great and infinite God is. Moses had a tough go of it. He experienced far more hardship and many more trials and difficult decisions than I ever have. Yet he realized, even in the middle of wandering around the desert, that there was a purpose and a joy in life beyond just living it.

There are about 17 amazing verses in that Psalm, but the one that has been most on my heart lately is verse 17.

And let the beauty of our Lord God be upon us: and establish Thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish Thou it.

The prayer of every person seeking the Lord. Or it should be. It should be my prayer everyday. Is it? Is what I do with my time worth establishing? I challenged the girls in the youth group (and myself) with this verse. I asked them to think of what they did today hour by hour and ask themselves these two questions:
What did I do today that the Lord would be interested in establishing?
And of the things I did do that the Lord would establish, am I interested in them?

Convicting, to say the least. In light of the 16 verses prior to this about our life being so short, this is extra convicting.

New prayer for me...

Establish all the works of my hands, Dear Saviour. Establish the work that I find menial and mundane. Establish the difficult work and the work that makes me lose sleep at night. Establish the work that makes my heart rejoice. Make my heart rejoice at it all, for You have given me this work, and You are my reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment